Last Sunday in church I had the privilege of hearing the story of a humble pastor in Calcutta. He was visiting the US for the first time to attend a large assembly of pastors and leaders of the denomination, and our local church was able to help raise funds to get him here. To say he experienced culture shock after a lifetime of living in the slums of Calcutta is an understatement.
Nothing was overtly profound about the message, but Adrian and I were both moved to tears at the beautiful story of this man’s life and the unmistakable mark of Grace upon it. The second most populous nation on the planet with 1.2 billion people, India is home to widespread poverty and a strict social caste system that, in the past, has deemed those in the lowest castes as “untouchables.”
Recall this song from several years back? It is worth your listen.
Yesterday morning in my inbox, I smiled at God when I opened an email from WorldHelp about their work in India. I fully believe that God places specific nations and places on the hearts of His people. (It’s why I started the For the Nations page here.)
And it’s why I’m excited to share WorldHelp‘s work in India with you. Take a minute to watch?
7 Ways You Can Get Involved With WorldHelp India
1) GO. See with your own eyes and let your heart break and be changed. Tentative trip planned for Fall 2014. Start praying now if this is your opportunity.
2) Sponsor a Child. I’ve shared in the past how child sponsorship can change a life and how our family has been involved. And more recently, it got even more personal when we had the chance to sponsor Diego. Sponsor a child in India and you can begin to impact a life in powerful way. Below, real kids awaiting sponsorship:
3) Water. According to the World Health Organization, 900,000 Indians die each year from drinking contaminated water or breathing polluted air. For $15, you can provide one person with clean water. Give now.
4) Medical Clinics. For $300, you can sow into a life saving medical facility. Read more.
5) Bibles. Pastor AJ shared on Sunday that India is home to millions of gods and idols. More than 80 percent of the population follows Hinduism. And out of the 2,500 people groups in India, almost 90 percent have yet to hear the Gospel of Christ. A $5 donation provides the Bible for a person in India.
6) Church Planting. World Help believes that one of the most effective ways to evangelize in foreign countries is to invest in the spiritual work of national partners. By providing financial support for church planters in India, WorldHelp strategically and effectively equips the spread of the Gospel. These church planters have the biblical training and passion to lead and minister to those who have never heard of God’s love. $1,000 = 1 church in 1 village resulting in 1 community being transformed. Learn more here.
7) Livestock. Give a family the simple gift of an animal that can provide food and income. From $20 for a rabbit, check out the options of giving animals to transform and empower lives here.
Maybe God has put this country in your heart.
Maybe today’s the day you step out and join Him at work there.
Read more and get involved at http://worldhelp.net/India/
Do you have a special place in your heart for India? Leave a comment and let us know how we can share in your prayers for this nation and these beautiful people.