May I start with a disclaimer?
I want to be honest that I know the sweet folks reading are all here for different reasons. Maybe you’re here because you like to check in for a free print now and then, or for some encouragement in your walk, or to stay up to date on ethical brands, fair fashion, or justice issues. Maybe you’re of the small group of relatives reading to check in on our life because you love us and live in another state and just want to see a picture of your grandkids now and then. (ahem, see below).
I realize not everyone reading wants to hear the details of our adoption, and I don’t consider MERCY iNK a place only about adoption. I believe we’re meant to share our story, yet seek balance in not dumping every detail on you. So from time to time, for those of you who are reading to follow our story, I will post some updates to fill you in. For those not here to follow, I promise I won’t bombard you. Sound good? Thanks for hearing me out.
With that disclaimer, onward.
Latest Adoption Happenings
- We plan to submit our i600A within the next week. For those unfamiliar with international adoption lingo, this form is “used by a U.S. citizen who plans to adopt a foreign-born child.” It is processed by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Our homestudy is submitted with other identifying documents and then we wait for approval. That’s sort of the short-ish version. Filing fee for this form is $720, plus $85/adult for fingerprinting.
- We are plugging away at our dossier. Again, for those outside of adoption world, the dossier is basically a collection of authenticated, legal documents (think marriage certificate, birth certificates, medicals, etc etc ETC) which will are gathered together and sent to Congo. Once in country, the documents are translated in order for us to proceed with the legal process to adopt a Congolese child as US citizens. Many of the same documents included in our homestudy are part of the dossier. A simplified way to look at these two pieces is that the homestudy grants us US approval to adopt, while the dossier grants us foreign approval, specifically in Congo, to adopt.
- Fundraising. This will forever be on our list, right up until we buy our plane tickets to travel. We’re excited to be working on a few new fundraising partnerships that we’ll be filling you in on soon. For this phase of the journey, we are working on raising the funds needed to submit the dossier. These include a $5000 international fee at time of submission, as well as a $2350 agency fee. So basically our next fundraising goal is $7350 to submit this dossier. (I know, crazy right? See this post for my take on the whole money thing.)
And on the fundraising front, I just have to say that people have been AMAZING. Because God is amazing. He continues to rise up folks that are sacrificially giving towards our little one. It blows my mind and humbles our family.
Fundraisers + Other Ways You Can Get Involved
- Our sweet friend Jennifer has organized a huge yard sale even for September. If you’re local (Harrisonburg, VA area), feel free to “like” our yard sale FB page for updates.
- We continue to partner with Just Love Coffee. A portion of all sales purchased through our link benefit our adoption fund. Thanks for all the coffee buyers. We are grateful!
- We are planning to launch our big huge online fundraiser next month. If you have something you’d like to donate, we would love to have you! Items from businesses, blogs, and handmade shops are being accepted, as well as gift cards and other new items. Fill out the DONOR FORM here. This provides a great opportunity for your biz/blog to gain some free advertising via MERCY iNK blog + social media!
- Sponsorships. Have a site, shop, or blog you’d like to expose to a new audience? I’d love to share with my readers. 100% of sponsorship profits benefit our adoption… it’s a win-win-win all around! Go here for info on advertising on MERCY iNK.
- Prints. My print sales help support our family and our adoption. Use code INK20 for 20% OFF anything in shop (good through August 31).
gracious: new print in shop
- If you are a blogger and would like to help promote our online fundraiser, or would like to feature our story on your blog, please email me: lauren AT mercyinkblog.com
- Consider making a financial donation (even $5!) via the button below:
So, that’s what’s up with the Mills Adoption Life.
Thanks for stopping in. We love your guts.
– lauren + adrian –